Friday, October 17, 2008

a dedication

A dedication to my beloved uncle:

"Cool Uncle", has always been my image of you. Your long hair has become the trademark in the family. When i was young and bad with names and address, i was always told, "Neeehhhh....the uncle with long hair lar......." when referred.

Were you still the long hair-ed uncle I've always known? Not having been back for 2 years, I do still have a vividly recollection of you. If i say i didn't love you at all, it's a lie. If i say i hated you very much, it's still a lie. Tell me, how could i? You are still the uncle who also painted my childhood.

I do still remember all the happy times, especially during Chinese New Year. You would buy lots of crabs, prawns and cockles, for a sumptuous seafood supper, and my dad would be the chef of the night, delivering mouth-drooling dishes one after another. In my memory, everyone would almost instantly dig in, with beer on one hand while chattering away. It was a competition, for those who were later would miss the chance of tasting more of those. After the dishes were gobbled up, the children would be either continue playing video games or firecrackers downstairs.

At the strike of twelve on CNY's eve, most of us would have been already preparing to buzz the neighbourhood with lots of firecrackers. "Faster, faster, twelve already!" as we urged for the crackers to be lighted up and rocketed into the sky. When we had run out of crackers, we would cram into your car or eldest uncle's car to tour around the town, to indulge in the beautiful scene of lighted sky. And by the time the fun ended, it would have been 2 in the morning.

The next morning, the humble cottage would be buzzling with life once again at about 9am. We, the children, knew that, you would always be the one to bring us for visiting. One after another, we visited many of your friends, and in our pockets, lay hills of ang paos. Coke, biscuits and all the chinese new year snacks would substitute lunch and dinner, including afternoon tea and morning tea. I remembered how you would interact with the hosts, discussing about business matters.


Sadly, it was always during CNY which I would see you the most. For most of the time, you would be tending to your business in the capital. And when you were in town, I couldn't see you, even for the last time. For once, i hated myself for not being able to do anything for you while you had been painting my childhood wonderfully. Across the ocean i am, but the feelings still pulled the distance nearer.

Thank you, thank you very much for your amicable smiles, the dialogues which frequently brought smiles to my face and the CNY visits. How i wish i could return now.

Rest in peace.


Regards,

Your niece in Singapore.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home